What is: maiLab Chem
What It Is...
Maica has many specialty products, and maiLab Chem is one of them. Maica's maiLab Chem enjoys a reputation of reliability in the international market, attributed to both the chemical resistance and the physical stability of the product, making it the most preferred product for laboratory table tops worldwide.
Electron Beam Curing (EBC) is one of the most powerful industrial curing technology commercially available today. The specialty of EBC is the ability of the EBC to penetrate the surface to fully cure and close the surface of the very thick, multiple Acrylic coating layers, which makes it possible for the high chemical resistance surface of maiLab Chem characterized by high performance surface finish.
Maica's maiLab Chem utilizes the advantages of the EBC technology with acrylic resin. maiLab Chem has not a single, but double-coating of acrylic combination for better surface performance, reduced VOCs and low carbon footprint since the EBC process does not produce CO2. maiLab Chem's EBC surface layer is combined with phenolic treated virgin-pulp kraft paper, processed under high temperature nad high pressure to ensure compliance with the EN438 standards for its physical properties.This process requires special calibration to the temperature, pressure and duration of production. The end result is maiLab Chem with a flat surface, complete with chemical resistance suitable for professional laboratory use.
The careful planning and processes for the production of maiLab Chem at Maica results in a product that has been tested and certified for compliance for the following properties:
* European Standard EN438 - Physical endurance based on the EN438 Part 4, as maiLab Chem has a build-up similar to that of a compact laminate with the exception of an EBC chemical resistant product surface. The EN438 also includes the criteria for "Surface Flatness". The careful control of temperature, pressure and duration of the production, coupled with the EBC cured surface and virgin-pulp phenolic resin impregnated kraft paper ensures the compliance for maiLab Chem with high stability and flatness value.
* GREENGUARD & GREENGUARD GOLD - Low VOC emission, due to the use of the acrylic resin and the EBC process, making the product suitable for indoor applications such as closed-laboratory environment.
* Singapore Green Label - An ecolabel certificate testifying the use of sustainable materials made from virgin-pulp.
* SEFA 8 and Selected 91 Chemicals tests - A most important attribute of the product for its chemical resistance, maiLab Chem has been tested for 91 most common chemicals used in laboratories worldwide, including the 49 chemicals specified by SEFA. All tests are done for a duration of 24 hours by a third-party internationally accredited laboratory, TUV SUV PSB Laboratory in Singapore.
* maiTermite Resistance - Termites thrive in an environment where microbes are present. These microbes help to break down the cellulose of wood materials into food sources that can be digested by termites. maiLab Chem is a product of high temperature and high pressure, with a high density of at least 1.35g/cm3. There is no air pocket or moisture trap in the product core, making it a non-conducive environment for microbes, especially fungi, to grow. The absence of these microbes makes maiLab Chem unattractive for the survival of even the most dangerous termite for buildings, the Subterranean termite.
Laboratories using harsh chemicals, such as hospitals, university laboratories for science-based specialisations, dental laboratories, veterinary laboratories and laboratories specialising in:
- tests for foodstuff
- autopsy and post-mortem works
- research and development of new medications
- research of new diseases and microbe species
- health diagnostics
- archaeological tests
- research of flora and fauna
- bio-medical research
- forensic science
- dental and oral science
1. While maiLab Chem has not been tested for electrostatic behaviors, the general attribute of HPL product based on the release by the International Committee of the Decorative Laminates Industry (ICDLI) is that HPL are "like anti-static materials and therefore need not be earthed. Their surface resistance lies between 10(5) and 10(12) Ohm." However, this is dependent on various factors including the surrounding climatic conditions, colour and pigmentation.
2. maiLab Chem has been tested based on chemical exposure of 24 hours. However, the guidelines for safe laboratory practices requires that any spilled chemicals must be cleaned immediately. This practice is for the safety of the persons in the laboratory and will also help to prolong the lifespan of maiLab Chem.